The Pelham Public Library offers downloadable audiobooks and eBooks, in cooperation with other public libraries in NH and the State of NH library. The NH Downloadable Books digital collection has thousands of eBooks and audiobooks in all genres.
Go to NH Downloadable Books and browse the collection.
Check out the NH Downloadable Books Blog for answers to many of your audiobook and eBook questions!
Frequently Asked Questions
How does this service work?
- Require additional software (See system requirements.)
- Download to a PC or a Mac computer
- PC users must also upgrade the security component of their computer’s Windows Media Player before downloading an audiobook.
- All audiobooks can be downloaded to a PC.
- Mac users can download MP3 audiobooks.
- Some wireless devices are able to download DRM-free MP3 audiobooks directly.
- View instructions for getting started with audiobooks and slides for Mac users.
EPUB eBooks: (for Nook, Sony Readers etc.) Full list here.
- The EPUB eBooks require additional software and a free Adobe ID (See system requirements.)
- Download to Mac or PC and to transfer to a dedicated eBook reader.
- Android and iPhone users can install apps for wireless eBook downloads.
- View instructions for getting started with eBooks and slides for Mac users.
- EPUB eBooks can be returned early.
- The Kindle eBooks require an Amazon Kindle account and either a Kindle eBook reader OR a Kindle app on your tablet or smartphone.
- The Kindle eBooks can be transferred wirelessly to a Kindle device or any device with a Kindle app.
- Library eBook loans must be downloaded on a local wireless network, not a cellular 3G network.
- Instructions for checking out Kindle eBooks.
- Kindle eBooks can be returned early to the collection through the “Manage Your Kindle” page in your Amazon account. (See page 4 of the Kindle Instructions Handout.)
Read more about audiobook and eBook formats and compatible devices.
- Check out up to 3 items at a time.
- Place a hold on items that are checked out.
- When your hold is ready, you will be notified by email.
- Check out your reserved book within 48 hours.
- Audiobooks are loaned for 7 days and cannot be returned early.
- The eBooks are loaned for 14 days and may be returned early.
When using NH Downloadable Books website, how do I manage my cart, place holds, or renew items?
Click on the eBook or audiobook you would like to check out. On the right side of this item you will see Checked out- Place a Hold, or Available. If the item is available, click Add to my Cart. You may continue to browse and check out all your chosen items when you are ready.
If the item is Checked out, click on Place a Hold. By entering your email you will automatically be placed in line for this item. You will receive an email when the item is available. Items cannot be renewed, lending periods are 14 days.
Click here for more detail on these features.
Can I return an eBook or audiobook early?
Audiobooks cannot be returned early. To return an eBook early, follow these steps.
Is there a mobile version of NH Downloadable Books? Which formats can I download from the mobile version?
Yes, you should automatically view the mobile version when you access the website. Having issues? Try this:
- Close the web browser on your device.
- Open the browser
- Delete cookies.
- Delete temporary Internet files.
- Access http://nh.lib.overdrive.com again. The mobile version of the website should be displayed.
A lot of eBooks are checked out, how do I get the eBooks I want?
2.) Use the hold feature! The State Library is adding more eBooks to the collection every day. In the meantime, click on the Hold feature for the eBooks you want. You’ll be notified by email when your eBook is available.
I am not computer savvy, can someone help me with my eReader?
Absolutely! Make an appointment with a Librarian. Call 635-7581.