Thank you for a great 2012 Robotics Club season!
Special thanks to Coach Steve Hayes, Charlie Baker, and Jeff and Jaimi Kosa for all their help with the Library Robotics team and the Robotopia Tournament. Look for footage of our local tournament (Robotopia) on Pelham-TV soon!
The Library will be seeking grant funding in order to host another FLL team in 2013. Please stay tuned for meeting information. Meetings usually begin in late Summer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who are we?
The Pelham Robotics Club is comprised of several First Lego League (FLL) teams in the Town of Pelham. Each team works individually to build skills, have fun, and develop strategies for the First Lego League annual challenge. Teams will meet monthly to collaborate and share ideas. The Pelham Public Library will host monthly meetings and post all information on this website.
What is First Lego League (FLL)?
The best way to summarize FIRST LEGO League is to say that it is a robotics program for 9 to 16 year olds, which is designed to get children excited about science and technology — and teach them valuable employment and life skills. FLL can be used in a classroom setting but is not solely designed for this purpose. Teams, composed of up to ten children with at least one adult coach, can also be associated with a pre-existing club or organization, homeschooled, or just be a group of friends who wish to do something awesome.
Who is sponsoring the Library team?
The Library sponsored a team in 2012– funded by a wonderful NASA summer of innovation grant. The team was coached by Steve Hayes. Coach Hayes has been in the computer industry for 39 years and coached First Lego League through the Middle School in Pelham in 2009. He also coaches Pelham Softball.
Is there a fee to join?
There is no fee to join but a $20.00 donation is requested to cover costs for Team T-shirts. Priority given to Pelham residents.
When does the Library Team meet?
The library team will begin meeting in late summer 2013. Our 2012 season ended in February 2013.
What are the Library Team Goals?
- Learn to work together as a team to accomplish the FLL missions and research requirements.
- Build self confidence through accomplishments of the missions.
- Actively identify experts in the area of robotics, mechanical engineering, and programming to meet with our team in order to learn about opportunities in those fields.
- Build leadership skills.
- Utilize the First Lego League competition challenge and missions.
- Hold and compete in a local Pelham tournament.
What are Team expectations?
- The club is not just about Legos, it is about Robotics
- All kids participate and attend weekly meetings on a regular basis.
- Parents are encouraged to volunteer and help out.
- Team members respect the Library, coaches, parents, competitors, and especially each other.
- We will have fun and learn new and exciting skills!